A Liberal Arts Degree for the Data Age
The B.S. in Data Science (BSDS) will prepare students to serve in the public and private sectors across industries. Students will gain a strong foundation in core data science tools, methodologies and approaches, alongside a deep understanding of the ethical dimensions of data systems and solutions. The program will educate students in the four domains of data science, as defined by the School of Data Science: value, design, analytics, and systems.
Situated at the intersection of computer science, systems science, statistics, mathematics, and information science, data science is an interdisciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms, and systems to extract knowledge and insights from data. At the undergraduate level, data science education is focused on preparing students to formulate data questions; develop and maintain robust data pipelines; select and perform sound analyses; and correctly interpret and present their findings.
- A cutting-edge, integrated curriculum that focuses on hands-on learning
- Faculty experts from across disciplines and departments
- Vibrant cohort experience fostering collaboration and network-building
- Connections with industry leaders and hiring companies
- University of Virginia network of 250K+ alumni worldwide
- Professional development opportunities
We're looking to craft a community of motivated scholars who:
- Are passionate about collaboratively solving the world’s challenges using data science
- Desire to apply their intellectual curiosity around data science to a broad range of compelling contexts
- Are ready to engage with a rigorous STEM curriculum
- Recognize the value of diverse perspectives and strive to build and contribute to our inclusive community
I am a...
High School Student
Current high school students interested in pursuing a B.S. in Data Science at the University of Virginia should apply for first-year admission through the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Students then apply as internal transfer students to the major in the spring of their first year.
Want to learn more about the School of Data Science? Register for a virtual information session.
First-Year UVA Student
First-year UVA students may apply to the B.S. in Data Science in their second semester, which is the spring of their first year. The two prerequisite courses, DS 1001: Foundations of Data Science and DS 1002: Programming for Data Science, must be completed or in progress at the time of application. Please refer to the Admissions page for more information about deadlines and the application process.
Second-, Third-, or Fourth-Year UVA Student
Prospective Transfer Student
Counselor, Advisor, or Family Member of a Prospective Student
Counselors, advisors, and/or family members of current high school students should refer to the resources provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admission regarding first-year admission information.
Want to stay in the know about what's happening at the School of Data Science? Sign up for our newsletter.