Use data to solve complex problems
Learn the tools and techniques to be a leader and pioneer in the field using data science to solve complex problems. Students in the M.S. in Data Science (MSDS) program are taught by world-class faculty with industry experience, collaborate on team capstone projects sponsored by corporate and government partners, and learn the importance of ethical and responsible data use to benefit society and the common good.
- Integrated curriculum that focuses on hands-on learning
- Team capstone project to apply what you learn in the classroom
- Faculty experts from across disciplines and departments
- Vibrant cohort experience fostering collaboration and network-building
- Connections with industry leaders and hiring companies
- University of Virginia network of 250K+ alumni worldwide
- Professional development opportunities
- A problem-solving mindset
- Working knowledge of discrete mathematical and statistical concepts
- High-level of quantitative ability
- Effective Communication Skills
- Proficient at programming (Python or R language)
Hear Program Director Adam Tashman discuss the integrated curriculum and hands-on learning projects, as well as what makes a good data scientist.
In just five semesters, you will learn essential data analytics topics like natural-language programming, machine learning, text analytics, and deep learning. The integrated curriculum combines hands-on learning with the application of sound data science principles, empowering you to solve real world problems and be a leader in the field.
MSDS students join us from a wide range of disciplines and backgrounds, including astronomy, biology, business, computer science, engineering, economics, journalism, languages, mathematics, nursing, public policy, and statistics, among many others. A strong quantitative background is expected, as well as effective communication skills and a problem-solving mindset.