Join the UVA School of Data Science for Datapalooza 2020. Featuring highlights from student research, keynotes from experts in the field, and discussions on a variety of data science topics, and more.
November 13, 2020, VIRTUAL, 12PM EST
The University of Virginia Data Science Institute began Datapalooza in 2017 to showcase and connect data science research happening across UVA Grounds. It has since expanded to highlight research and industry work happening around the region, helping people in the data science community make connections and expand their knowledge.
Check out highlights from Datapalooza 2019 and the more than 40 speakers this conference brought together from across Grounds. Learn what research was showcased and the way Datapalooza 2019 helped chart the way forward for research at the School of Data Science.
Datapalooza represents a core value of the UVA School of Data Science - fostering collaboration and engagement in data science research, education and industry communities at the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, across the U.S., and around the world.
“Datapalooza has always been a showcase for data science research happening across UVA,” Claudia Scholz
Datapalooza 2020 will highlight cutting-edge research, shed light on the way data impacts essentially every sector of society and how research at UVA, specifically through collaboration with the School of Data Science, can move forward and create positive change. This year our conference is focusing on the civic and social responsibility.
Join us on November 13! Check out the agenda below, and follow the links to learn more about the individual speakers and sessions that make up Datapalooza 2020!
12PM EST: Welcome Address
12:15PM: Opening Keynote "Positive Impact of Data Science on Emerging and Reemerging Disease - COVID 19."
- John J. McGowan, Deputy Director for Science Management, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, NIH
1:15PM: Panel: "Data Science that Works With and For Our Communities"
- EDetectives: Automated detection of eating disorders in dieting forums (Jiaxing “Joy” Qiu MSDS '20)
- The Charlottesville Housing Hub: A Platform to Make Housing Navigation Easier (Adam Lutz)
- Reaching for the Stars and Landing on the Moon: Improving Local Government Open Data (Christof Ferhman, UVA PhD Student in Quantitative Psychology & Lucas Lyons, Systems Performance Analyst, Charlottesville Fire Department)
- Abigail Cox, Program Associate, Smart Cville
- Covid-19, from Molecules to Populations: Identifying Potential Therapeutics through Structure-Based Interactomes and Patient Health Outcomes (Brooke Williams, Cory Yemen, Kevin Lennon)
- U.S. Presidential Election Forecasting (Ben Rogers, Spencer Marusco, Chad Sopata, Matt Thomas)
- Measuring Infrastructure Damage with Satellite Imagery (Jordan Bales, Will Carruthers)
- Using Twitter to Understand Public Attitudes Towards COVID (Jae Hyun Lee, Cullen Baker, Jason Lwin)
Presidential Speeches (Kevin Finity, Ramit Garg, Maxwell McGaw)
3:15PM: Panel: "Bridging Data and Policy"
- Jerrie Kumalah, Data Scientist, Open Lattice
- Carlos Rivero, Chief Data Officer, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Daniel W. Player, Associate Professor of Public Policy, UVA Frank Batten School of Public Policy
4:30PM: Closing Keynote
- Rumman Chowdhury, Responsible AI Lead, Accenture
Interested in sponsoring Datapalooza 2020? Contact Wendell Collins